Monday, February 27, 2017

New Work & Art Influences

My work often looks like other people's work. And I'm okay with that.

I am influenced by everything I read, see, hear and experience. But I'm also heavily influenced by other artists. This is not a bad thing. In fact, I think its the nature of the process. Nothing ever happens in a vacuum. Everyone has influences.

Some of my influences include Expressionists from the beginning of the last century: Pablo Picasso, Franz Marc, and Paul Gauguin to name just three. My influences also include modern abstract expressinists from the midcentury period: Cy Twombly, Joan Mitchell, Lee Krasner, collage genius Conrad Marca-Relli, and in her own category, portraitist Alice Neel. I also love the work of my contemporaries like Michelle Armas, Cecily Brown, Jenny Andrews AndersonMarta WhistlerGwenn SeemelFlora Bowley, Jackie Leishman, and most recently my studio mate Jay Bailey. The artworks created by these lovely people are always a part of my inner landscape.

These artists are all very different from each other. But they all end up in my own work in one way or another. Every time I step to the canvas, I feel them with me in some small way. This gives me courage. Am I borrowing from them? Absolutely. Am I copying their work? Absolutely not. I understand it as a time-space-warp-dialog. They are my helpmates.

Here is my latest piece from the studio. The image is from a live model I sketched two weeks ago during Jay's bi-monthly Drawing Club. Its entitled "Liminal" - 36 x 36 inch acrylic on canvas.





With this post, I simply wanted to acknowledge that I come from a 
lineage of art makers who keep me engaged and seeking as I make my own work. 
I am always filled with gratitude that I live in a world filled tip-top with art.

Who are your influences?
Who keeps you hungry and engaged?




No comments: