Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Grow Up and Get Busy



I'm not saying that I don't care what people thing of me. Upholding a reputation for honesty, kindness, compassion and humor are very important to me. And I care deeply about others.

But these days, I'm feeling centered and unapologetically me. Validation seems moot. Frankly, I feel less and less obligated to make space for things like white fragility, mansplaining, sexist jokes and racist habit energy. No need for shame and blame, regret and recourse.

I'm feeling that wonderful shift - a shift my mother said would surly come - between my 30s and my 40s when I no longer have to play nice, act cute, end my sentences with upward inflection, apologize before I respond, toss in weak qualifiers when verbalizing my insights and thoughts. Nope. I seem to be growing the fuck up.

And now it's time to get busy.

How about you? How are you feeling as you age? What about those of you who have moved beyond your 40s and 50s and are now in a place of really not giving a rats ass? I want to hear from you. Share your wisdom with us!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah Sarah, your post made me smile this early Thursday morning. Thank you ��