Saturday, June 01, 2013

This Week in the Studio

It's June?  Wow.  Spring is gone, eh?

I'm working on a series about my son, Charlie - more specifically, about his brain. Now that he is showing big and outward signs of progress, I'm ready to begin looking at the last three years of his little life with a different eye - the MRIs, the scans, the seizures, the skull surgeries, etc. Charlie continues to have good and bad days, but he's showing some exciting signs of possible speech and even walking! I've included a really awesome video of Charlie at the bottom of this post.


Neuroplasticity  -  12x12 acrylic and oil pastel on canvas



And here it is with another piece in the series entitled "According to the MRI".




Like I said, my son Charlie has Cerebral Palsy related to stroke. He can't walk or crawl. Last fall he began bearing weight through his legs and feet with the help of orthotic braces and the support of an adult. But just recently, he began shifting his body weight onto one foot and picking up his other foot to mimic a stepping action. This week, he completed the action and was even able to get his stroke affected leg to participate. Here he is putting one foot in front of the other and bearing weight through his hips, legs, knees and feet. I'm holding him by his pelvis to keep him upright - the rest is all him!


4 comments:

Jhesika Menes said...

That is so wonderful!! Best wishes, and I love the art!!! xx JM

www.hookandantler.com

Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

Sarah- Wonderful! The smile on his face says it all!

Loretta

Toni said...

Charlie's huge smile and obvious pride in himself brought tears to my eyes. So much joy for you all. Thank you for sharing this. Really enjoy your blog and your art.

Rachel Anderson said...

Oh Sarah!
This brings tears of joy to my eyes. Go Charlie!!!