Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Nourishment

These past few days I've had lots of time to read, think, hug, listen and nourish my spirit.  I'm visiting my mother's farm in Eastern Oregon.  Its not a vacation destination.  Its not on the map.  Its simply a big empty spread of agricultural land along the Snake River on the border of Idaho.  And this week, this valley tucked away in the high Oregon desert has been my haven.

My four-year-old is drinking up the sun and grass and free-range feel, while I enjoy watching him from the porch. Charlie is always in my arms or at my feet. He'll be two years old on August fourth. Everyday, a neighbor or friend shoves fresh produce in my hands and says, "Here, take some. My garden is overflowing".  What a wonderful problem to have. 




4 comments:

Connie said...

This is the sweetest thing. <3

Notes From ABroad said...

It all sounds perfect, for you and the boys and your family ... and your spirits :)

Audrey said...

The photo of you holding Charlie is exquisite. It just says it all - pure and gentle love between a mother and her child.

Lori said...

Sarah,

"Nourishment"... that's what your blog post has been for my soul.

Your writing voice enamors me.

As for the photo of you and your darling Charlie, there's something almost painfully authentic about it. The manner in which his right arm and leg rest side by side so comfortably is riveting.

Warm regards,

Lori