Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Preparing the Studio Space

Yesterday, I spent my first day in my new studio space. I was just there for a few hours to assess the damage to walls, windows and floors (this space has been empty since November) and to clean up a bit before I start painting the walls. I can't quite put into words my level of gratitude for the opportunity to work in this space. It's in a vibrant part of town and will allow me to widen my reach with gallery exhibitions, studio visits and ample room for classes and workshops.

This space is the brain child of Jay Bailey. He is already a staple at the Continental Gin Building and is currently in the process of expanding his studio work and classes. I'm thrilled that he's asked me to be a part of it. I've included some snap shots from my time in the space yesterday. I hope you enjoy watching the transformation of this space over the next few weeks!


Below is the main teaching space:



And the gallery space on the opposite end of the room:



Jay and his wife knocked down this doorway last week to expose the beam above and open the space up a bit. This breezeway connects the main room to my gallery space and studio:



A corner of my private studio:



The double doorway at the end of the hall leads to our studio:



A very cool old and functional freight elevator down the hall from our space:



Our studio is on the third floor of the building:



Here's a shot of Elm Street, looking towards downtown Dallas:



And here's a shot of the Continental Gin Building and its iconic water tower:



More to come!

No comments: