Friday, April 17, 2015

Chicken Proof Garden Idea

I have a small backyard flock of five hens. They're wonderful. They do all sorts of things to improve my soil, assist in composting, eliminate bugs in my back yard and best of all, they produce eggs. But they also like to dig - like, to China. So I've recently run into some issues with letting my chickens loose in the garden. They uproot tender plants and stomp over flowers and generally don't give a crap about how hard I've worked to make my garden grow.


My back yard.


In desperation, I encircled my raised vegetable beds (pictured above) with chicken wire and hardware cloth. But this quick fix, while effective, is ugly and cumbersome to remove when I need to work in the garden. But today, I happened upon THIS post at VegetableGardener.com. It's a brilliant and attractive fix.






All photos via VegetableGardener.com



4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! Nothing like growing your own food. Forgive "the girls" for stomping on the greens. (They are providing the protein.) Looks wonderful!

Connie said...

Brilliant!

Notes From ABroad said...

Great !
I have the dilemma of deer .. there is nothing so far I can think of except not to plant anything that deer like. So far I did find out they will eat bird seed too. sigh ... love your "girls" :)

Emily said...

Brilliant solution!