Monday, March 09, 2015

The First Egg


It's Monday! Time for our weekly installment of Radical Homemaking. Want to learn more about what that means, check out THIS post and THIS post. 

It's coming of age week here at La Maison Boheme for our backyard flock. Etta, one of our Rhode Island Reds, laid her first and second egg this weekend! The girls are now 24 weeks old and we're coming out of a pretty cold and icy six week stretch. Spring is eminent and the hens are sensing it's time to lay. We're so excited to start pulling breakfast out of our back yard everyday!





Below is a photo of me with Etta, taken about two months ago.



And just for fun, here are some shots of Gladys, our Golden Laced Wyandotte.
I think she'll be the next to lay. 






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have 3 Rhode Island Reds where I live in Bethesda Maryland. They spend the winter in a tiny green house with a heating pad underneath their waterer and a light on a timer to give them the 14 hours of day light necessary to keep laying eggs in the shortened light cycle. I do love those girls. Because I bought them as day old chicks they imprinted on me and now are very comfortable to be handled. Their eggs are just great and will be even better when the girls can get into the garden and forage for bugs. So glad to see another lady with chickens. Ann

Notes From ABroad said...

Hurray ! It looks huge ! lol poor chicken.
I laugh every time I see that hens face .. ,peeking through the doorway ? comical looking face.

I live in an area where nothing can live outside at night and chickens are vulnerable so I can't have any. I loved the idea of having a couple of my own hens for eggs.

Oh well, maybe my next life ..

Unknown said...

Yay! So so exciting! Ive been dying to have a small flock of my own and one of the reasons we decided to downsize our home is so that we could find a smaller house on a larger lot so i could create a potager gardner and have 3 hens. I love your radical homemaking series.