Tuesday, March 24, 2015

New Additions to the Hen House

Hello backyard chicken fans! Today, we're introducing our two newest members of the flock. After our hen Aretha turned out to be a dude, we re-homed him and mourned his empty space on the roost bar. So after a couple of months wondering when and if we should get more chickens, we took the leap!

Meet Billie (a Barred Rock) and Nina (A Buff Orpington). These two girls are only four months old, about 10 weeks younger than our existing hens. We're still in the getting to know you phase, which brings with it lots of chasing and squawking as the ladies establish their pecking order. But it all seems to be going very well so far. Here are the newbies, Billie and Nina:


Nina

Billie


4 comments:

Connie said...

I'm sure they will all be harmonizing soon. Billie and Nina are real beauties.

Notes From ABroad said...

Awww, they are just little girls :)
I agree, they are pretty !

Anonymous said...

I love your new chickens and I love your blog - I've been reading it almost from the start. So I hope you don't mind me pointing out that it's "without further ado", not "without further adieu". (I'm a sub-editor - can't help myself!)
All the best, Michele.

Sarah Greenman said...

Michele - thank you! It's funny which spelling habits remain with us. Seems that even a creative writing degree can't breed out bad spelling. Thanks so much for reading (and editing). xoxo