Monday, February 09, 2015

Radical Homemaking | Kombucha


It's Monday! Time for our weekly installment of Radical Homemaking. Interested in learning more about what that means, check out THIS post and THIS post. 


One of the many benefits of living with our new house mates is their habit of brewing Kombucha. We've had a wonderful influx of different flavors, all bottled beautifully for our continual consumption. We all refer to this magic elixir as "The Booch". I have watched my house mates lovingly care for their SCOBIs, test levels and add ingredients along the way. Honestly, it looks like a bunch of well-timed witchcraft to me.

Kombucha tea is a fermented drink made with tea, sugar, bacteria and yeast. Although it's sometimes referred to as kombucha mushroom tea, kombucha is not a mushroom — it's a colony of bacteria and yeast. Kombucha tea is made by adding the colony to sugar and tea, and allowing the mix to ferment.

There are all sorts of claims about the benefits of drinking Kombucha tea, and while the medical community is skeptical, I'm sold based on how YUMMY it tastes. My house mates have this thing down to a science. Are you a Kombucha maker? Do you ferment at home? Tell me about your results in the comments below!





P.S.
Here are my favorite Pinterest boards about about Kombucha from:



No comments: