Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Sashiko Embroidery

Lately I've been drawn to simple repeated patterns. Whether I'm sewing or painting or setting the table, I like the calm and ease of repeated natural forms. Sashiko is a Japanese style of quilt stitch that dates back to the 1600's. It's simple, but disciplined pattern is so beautiful and meditative.

Shashiko translates as "little stabs". It's a reinforcement stitch meant to strengthen places of wear and tear on garments and textiles. It's traditionally seen as a running pattern using white thread on indigo cloth, but I see it used everywhere now, especially in multicolored Kantha cloths.

I have some mending to do on my son's denim jeans, all of which have blown out knees. I think I might try this stitch to shore up the rips.








1 comment:

Rachel Anderson said...

Have you ever checked out the work of Natalie Chanin? (her company is Alabama Chanin) Incredible stitching inspiration! xoxo R