Thursday, October 02, 2014

Dream Catcher

www.rachaelrice.com

My brother used to make dream catchers. They were his go-to gift for friends with new homes or new babies. There are a lot of little ones in our circle of friends and family that began their lives peering up at one of my brother's dream catchers.

When I was at Squam, I took Rachael Rice's dream catcher workshop. I'd never made one before. I really enjoyed the process of weaving the inner-web. My mother and I immediately came home and found supplies to show my son, Walker. He now has his own dream catcher hanging above his bed.

Today, as I move through my day, I'll hold the dream catcher image in my mind as a sort of walking meditation. Magic can happen. And it can happen even when shit is hitting the fan and your world is in chaos as mine is right now. All I have to do is trust - TRUST myself, TRUST this process, TRUST my grieving heart and remember my darling brother.










source


Pictured below are the two dream catchers my mother and I made at the Squam Art Workshops in Rachael Rice's workshop. The blue is my mother's and the white is mine. I love them so.






4 comments:

Camille said...

Honestly, I'd seen dreamcatchers before but had no particular desire to make one until I saw what came out of Rachael's class! Using crochet in the "inner web" is so lovely—that one's my fave of the inspiration photos.

Sending you much love, my friend. xoxox

Shawna McComber said...

Dream catchers are so beautiful and yours are especially lovely not only for their physical form but for the meaning they carry for you. I am so sorry for your loss and trust that eventually time will get you to a place where there is less pain. It must be very hard for your mum too. Parents do not expect to lose a child. Children expect to lose parents and even that is difficult. My thoughts are with you and have been since you first wrote of your loss.

Rachael Rice said...

Well beyond an honor to be in the written company of you and your brother. Love to you and your family.

Sixpence and A Blue Moon said...

I love this post... and your words are exactly what I needed to hear today.

You have a beautiful blog!