Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Artist America Martin

Last month, while on location for a home tour photo shoot in Fort Worth, I was introduced to the art of America Martin. She is very well known, especially on the West Coast, but I had not seen her work until now. I'm a huge Picasso fan and Martin's work is very closely aligned with his - although Martin seems to have a kinder gaze when it comes to her subject. Her work also invokes the art of Matisse and Fernand L├ęger. Martin is inspired by the female form. Her subjects are vibrant, self-possessed, thoughtful women who seem to leap off the canvas. The more I see her work, the more enchanted I become.


Here is Martin in her studio:

via

via

via


And here is some of her work:










As I said, Martin is clearly informed by Picasso's work. The painting above is in direct relationship with one of my favorite Picasso pieces, "Nude Under a Pine Tree" (below). 




To see more of Martin's work, please visit her website: www.americamartin.com

You can also find her on

1 comment:

Elena Jouhari said...

Sarah, I know those sofas are NOT the point of this beautiful post, but I would really appreciate if you could help me find out what are those sofas, the brand or producer, perhaps? Though I won't be surprised to know they are a produce of Martin's mind! Thanks!