Monday, April 28, 2014

Compost Compost Compost


Every Monday, I write a little something about my Radical Homemaking journey. And I always get lots of wonderful emails and inquiries from others who are trying to make similar changes to their home and lifestyle. So first, thank you to everyone for reaching out. It's such fun to interact with readers!

A common question is, "If I only make one change, what should it be". I'm no expert to be sure and there are lots of great books out there about going green. But for us, the easiest and most significant change we've made in our household this year is to compost. It has changed the way in which our family thinks about and handles "garbage".  It keeps our waste to a minimum and also provides nutrient rich soil for our garden. Plus our trashcans don't smell like rotting food anymore! I'm a convert.




According to this article by NRDC, food makes up almost 13 percent of the U.S. waste stream. And it makes an even higher percent of landfill-caused methane. One of the ways we can do our part in reducing methane gas in the atmosphere involves turning food waste into nutrient-rich soil in which to plant next year’s veggies and herbs. Composting is an easy way to increase our household sustainability, reduce waste and reduce our carbon footprint.





1 comment:

Melissa @ An Impulse To Soar said...

Agreed! We started composting this year too and I'm so glad we made the switch. I love this series by the way!