Thursday, August 09, 2012

Waiting for Fall

I know its a bit early for this kind of talk, but I'm ready for Fall.  August in Texas is not a kind time.  It requires the same kind of fortitude and spiritual reserves one must summon for a winter in Minnesota.  Fall never seemed like such a mercy until I moved from the West Coast to Dallas.

I've signed up for a September vegetable gardening class.  Two Saturdays devoted to compost, seed selection, organic and natural gardening techniques and plant care.  It stays so warm in Dallas that we have two growing seasons.  I plan to make the most of my little veggie patch this Fall.  I'm also looking forward to that wonderful quality of light that only appears in the middle months of Fall (see photo below). What are you looking forward to this Autumn?


source unknown

8 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

I am READY also! It is hotter than heck in Oklahoma too and I am a Florida girl!
I just read that El Nino may bring us an early wet Fall! Fingers crossed!

Karri said...

Long, low light and leaves crunching underfoot, plus that first chilly morning when you have to go back in and grab a sweater. Love.

Unknown said...

Oh Im ready oh so ready as well!:) I cant stand summer! :) Right with ya!

Hugs,

Sage said...

It already feels like autumn here in Denmark, which makes me homesick for New England.

But, I'm going to Paris for the first time this autumn and I'm very much looking forward to that!

Marina in Blue said...

It's also very hot here in Jerez, we are in "yellow alert by hot" 45º and I would like having gardening classes but It 's not common here. Enjoy your class there

Megan said...

I start looking forward to Fall in July! Mostly because I love Halloween, but also it reminds me of my childhood. And now that I have children...well that just makes it even more special!

Notes From ABroad said...

It is Winter where I live.
Grey, cold, raw, dreary winter at the moment. But it can change to bright, sunny , crisp winter tomorrow. The thing is, at this time, you really start to hunger for the next season. I am ready for warm days and not wearing a coat , gloves, scarves and boots. You are ready to throw on the coat, scarves, gloves and boots :)
Enjoy ....

Barbara said...

I'm with you - autumn is my favorite time of the year, especially since I live in New England. The glorious color, crunchy leaves underfoot, moody skies, and spiced (sometimes spiked!) cider are heavenly.

Hang in there!