Sunday, May 23, 2010

Details, Details

Ornamentation and detailed filigree is a lost art. I've recently seen so many new homes and interiors that lack nuance and detail. It's all hard lines and plaster and grand empty space. I'm not saying everything has to be dripping with hand carved mouldings, lavish paint designs or fluted edges. I'm simply saying that I love the look and feel of a home whose designers or owners understand and appreciate the details. A curving banister. Hand tiling in the entry. A cornice here or there. This is probably why I have such affection for the Art Nouveau period.







2 comments:

Tonia Lee Smith said...

I've seen this house somewhere before? I'm thinking I did a post with it......great minds think alike.

Mary Ann said...

great photos and great blog...love the detailed architectural designs. have a great week ahead. count me as your new follower! verbena cottage