Sunday, September 06, 2009

Name Dropping

I was listening to a track from Joanna Newsom's Milk Eyed Mender tonight. I love her completely unique voice and the beautiful music she makes on her harp. But above all I love her writing. I think her lyrics are tops. We went to college together and in our senior year we were taking some of the same classes. We worked together on chap books in our poetry class and chatted about Shakespeare and our funny, discontented Comparative Literature professor. A few days before graduation she invited me to the Campus Commons to hear her play a few songs. I had no idea that she was a musician. I had no idea that she had already cut a record or two. But I was totally enchanted with her work. And now, I take such delight in seeing her flourish, share her beautiful music and saying "I used to know her."


1 comment:

oh, albatross said...

so jealous, she's somebody i'd love to meet! her music is so different and so, so good.