Thursday, May 07, 2009

Expensive Table

I walked past the Mecox store a few days ago and spotted a small metal table covered in distressed red paint. It was lovely. I couldn't keep my mind off that table, so I headed into the store this afternoon to take a closer look. I thought it might have been originally intended for patio dining or some such thing. A very nice store manager asked if he could help me and I told him I had a crush on this red table. I slyly peeked at the price tag - What? What? Five thousand dollars? What? What a buzz kill. So now I'm on the hunt. I'm going to find some old beat up metal table and paint it myself. The question now is, "How do I get that distressed patina that made the Mecox table so lovely?"

2 comments:

Kandice said...

Oh swoon....but not 5thousand dollars swoon.

Jon said...

I would think you could use elmer's glue and let that dry, paint over it and then pull up the glue. It would leave you some natural looking paint flake off team that with some sanding and judicious use of a hammer and you should have a swoon worthy reproduction. You'll have to let me know if you attempt this.