Thursday, September 25, 2014

Planning a Memorial Service

Such a strange enterprise - planning a memorial for my brother. It's something I never ever thought I'd be doing at this particular point in my life. This week I've been gathering photos, collecting music, writing a little something to share with our grieving family and friends, etc. Its been healing in some ways, but gut-wrenching in others.

The world has shifted in some inexplicable way and those of us left behind must learn to move from a new center of gravity. The stage has been raked, the sets pitched forward, the props are rolling towards the audience and still the show must go on.




The photo of my brother (above) was taken in 1999 on the beach in Cayucos, CA where we spent our childhood summers. I was also married there and Joel's memorial service will be there as well. I'm looking forward to seeing this vast blue-gray sea again. It's been too long.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their condolences with me and my family. Many of you have asked if there is anything you can do. If you feel moved to do so, a friend has set up a memorial fund in my brother's honor. The expenses associated with dying have been an unexpected part of this process. My mother, father and I are grateful for the assistance as we move forward with travel plans, memorial costs, etc. Click HERE to contribute if you wish.



1 comment:

vintage girl at heart said...

So sorry for your loss. I read about your brother and his creative and well traveled life. What a joy he must have been. Remember the good times.