Thursday, December 04, 2014

Winter Planning | Seed Savers Exchange


I know it's not Monday, but Thursday is a great day for an impromptu installment of Radical Homemaking. Want to learn more about what that means, check out THIS post and THIS post. 

It's that time of year! Seed catalogues are stacking up on my bedside table. My favorite though, is Seed Savers Exchange. This is where I purchased my seed from last season, and that garden was the best ever. The fruit and vegetables were beautiful and plentiful - a happy combination of good organic heirloom seed and home grown compost. I've had my failures, but I am also a learning machine, and this year I have high hopes.




Here is my 2015 garden order:

Heirloom Tomato Varieties:

Greens:
   -  Red Russian Kale

Vegetables:
   - Miniature Chocolate Bell Pepper
   - Yellow of Parma Onion

And just for some fun companion planting:
   - Bells of Ireland (my favorite cut "flower")
   - German Chamomile Organic
   - Ladybird Nasturtium
   
I also have Chiogga Beets, Lemon Cucumber, Basil, Scarlet Carrots, and Yellow Pear Tomato seeds from the 2014 season. And when it comes available, I'll be buying a Jersey Black apple tree graft from Seed Savers Exchange. They have 40 heirloom varieties to sell in the early spring!

On another note, my chickens are 10 weeks old today! The verdict is still out on Aretha, my Barred Rock. She may be a he. We'll see. My favorite (I know know I shouldn't play favorites, but I'm only human) is Etta, one of my two Rhode Island Reds. She is sweet and calm and easy to hold. Here are the birdies:

Etta


No comments: