Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Winter Beauty on the Farm

Hello dear readers. I hope this note finds you all well and happy. It's Christmas Eve here on my Mama's farm in Eastern Oregon. Yesterday was a beautiful, unseasonably warm and sunny winter day that clocked in around 45 degrees. Usually this valley is covered in snow at this time of year. I walked a few acres with my camera in hopes of capturing a little taste of the season out here.

All is calm. The air is cool and the cattle are pastured. Every once in a while I hear the hum of a dusty Fed Ex truck on the high road delivering last minute packages. Huddled quail flutter about when I approach their blackberry bush unannounced. A rooster and his two hens follow me around the property wondering if I might lay some scratch on the winter ground. Inside the house, my husband is attending to our sick child. Even the most idyllic moments are mixed with the realities of life. We're all a little under the weather.

The most keenly felt reality is that my brother, who died at the beginning of Autumn, is not here with us. He was supposed to be. We planned this trip last year when the world was bright and spirits were high. But this year, I am filled with melancholy and longing. My chest cold rattles away in my bones and my brother's absence is sharp. I am surrounded by beauty and family, but winter has a way of reminding me that some plants, even the the hardiest, do not survive the hard freeze.

Hug your loved ones tight. 
Buy the good kleenex.
And have yourself a merry little Christmas.

Light always follows the dark night.




















5 comments:

Notes From ABroad said...

I too lost someone this past year and holidays are never the same again. What helps me is to pretend that he is still watching and hears and sees what is happening and I am still sharing it with him .. sometimes whatever helps is good.
Sending peace and love ~ C

Notes From ABroad said...

Hi honey, I am sorry about your brother. Every holiday and "anniversary" of some occasion brings pain and sadness. My husband died in October, one year ago. Last Christmas was a blur, I barely remember it .. this Christmas is going to be better. I am going to be better. you are going to be better. That saying is true, as annoying as it can be to hear it but Time does heal. Things do get better with Time. But in the meantime, enjoy the holidays and try to be happy because you know your brother would love that.
besos, C

Rachel Anderson said...

Gorgeous photos.. we are feeling Grandpa Larry's loss this year too. You are not alone. Enjoy the beauty of your surroundings and just feel it all. love
Rachel

Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

Merry Christmas, Sarah. You are in a good and blessed place.

Loretta

Unknown said...

hallo there!
Such wonderful pictures and the landscape is
beatiful!
Best whishes from Sweden and me!