Wednesday, November 12, 2014

My Son's Childhood Home


"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us." 
- Winston Churchill






The above photos are Instagram snapshots from around my house. They were all taken in the last two weeks. Today, is my son's seventh birthday. And as I walk around my home - his childhood home - I reflect on how this dwelling has and will shape him. And I remember my own childhood home (pictured below) very fondly and know for certain that it shaped a part of my inner landscape. That house still looms large in my child's mind.

As I continue to shape our own dwelling, decorate, re-order the rooms and organize the spaces, I'll meditate more on how our dwellings shape us. I want to make conscious choices about my son's childhood home, which as Churchill reminds me, will have a part in shaping how he grows and who he will become. Today, I'm filled with gratitude for this house that shelters us and protects our bodies and dreams. Happy Birthday, darling boy!



No comments: