Wednesday, March 12, 2014

DIY Hemnes Side Table Hack

I have a pair of matching black Hemnes side tables from Ikea. They're great looking cheap little pieces, one of which I bought from the As-Is section of the store. Now that I have a new bed with a lower platform profile, I need shorter side tables. It's all part of my bedroom makeover.

Yesterday, I chopped three inches off of the table legs. Now they're the perfect height for my bed! I also spray painted some gold accents to freshen up the look of the tables. I also wanted the tables to fit in with some of the midcentury pieces I brought into my bedroom as part of the makeover. Here's what I did and what tools I used.




I removed the bottom three inches of the legs using a ruler, a pencil and a power saw. I sanded down the edges. Then I taped off another three inches of leg in preparation for spray painting. 





I spray painted the tips of the legs and the drawer pull using Design Master Spray Paint in Antique Gold. I found it at Michaels. Ta da!  40 minutes top to bottom. I'll be sharing my full master bedroom reveal in the coming week - just as soon as I get my artwork back from the framer!




4 comments:

Wendy said...

Looks sharp! The gold was a brilliant idea.

Rachel Anderson said...

Niiiiice. R

Rachel Anderson said...

PS You better not sneak through Austin again without stopping by my house for a bloody mary...tricky. :) R

Sarah Greenman said...

Ha Rachel!!! I texted you, but I figured with a brand new babino in the house, you were a busy lady. xoxoxo