Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Peace Out - My Christmas Mantle




A neighbor of mine just built a new patio and had a bunch of 8x10 inch chunks wood sitting around. I think they're unused pieces of sawed-off decking. Anyway, she happily gave them to me to be used for this year's mantel décor. Here's what I did:

1. Sand the edges - because splinters suck the Christmas spirit right out of you.

2. Using a pencil, freehand sketch the block letters - I'm a wing-it kind of girl.

3. Then using any paint you like, paint the negative space, leaving the woodgrain letter unpainted.



7 comments:

Connie said...

Very Nice!

Anonymous said...

I love your house! It is so cute, and matches your style completely.

Rachel Anderson said...

genius. I love picking up other people's crap and turning it into something awe.some. :)R

Abbie Sanderson said...

I love this idea, Sarah. Thanks for sharing!

Veronica Roth said...

That's very pretty Sarah. I keep seeing turquoise and fuchsia, that's just not Christmasy to me. I love red and gold and the more traditional colours.

Sarah Greenman said...

I'm with you Veronica - red, green, gold and silver all the way!

vintage girl at heart said...

oh so neat. love that you left the negative natural.