Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Vintage Handkerchiefs

My Great Aunt Lois passed away this spring and over the last few weeks, some of her things have been arriving at my home. Mostly quilts, family photos, albums, a little bit of art and some small furniture items she collected over the years. She also left behind an incredible collection of hand embroidered and vintage printed handkerchiefs. She is definitely of the "handkerchief era" and has quite a variety. I've been washing, drying and pressing them all week. There are 36 total. Now... what to do with them? Any ideas?









7 comments:

Barbara said...

Could you piece together one of those airy, floaty boho shirt-dress-caftany things that are everywhere?

Beautiful, though, aren't they? I can't believe that people actually blew their noses into these things, but I guess in pre-Kleenex days, you had to use something. The alternative (which my father taught us as little kids to my mother's great anger) doesn't bear thinking about.

Barbara

Wendy said...

I love the look of pretty floral hankies framed in square frames and hung in a grid. You posted a pic some time ago of framed hankies as a headboard. With your bohemian sensibility, though, I'll bet you're thinking of some floaty dresses or tops.

Andrea Masó said...

love it!!!

www.amoresbohemios.blogspot.com

Rachel Anderson said...

Lovely!! How about a pennant style garland...sewn on some lovely ribbon.. some of the larger ones as fronts pillow covers...sew them back to back for napkins?

Shawna said...

I have four lacy vintage handkerchiefs that belonged to my grandmother. I have always intended to frame them.

Anonymous said...

What about making a lovely sheer curtain panel? That way, the light could shine through the delicate lace and stitching...

Love your gorgeous site!

Nina said...

I saw an image where the squares were sown together and made into a sheer curtain. It was beautiful.