Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Theater is Not Dead

I am mesmerized by the photography work of Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre.  They are masters at capturing a bygone era by photographing cultural landmarks in a state of ruin.  I am particularly awed by their theater series.  I've peppered this post with photos of theater performances in the era at which these theaters were at their zenith.

source

Sarah Bernhardt


source

King Lear and his daughters

source

The Desperate Hours 1955


source

Ethel Barrymore in her dressing room.


source

Stage version of A Street Car Named Desire 1947.


source

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! <3

My Grama's Soul said...

Even in their decay those old theaters are stunning.

Jo

JWC said...

those theatres look so amazing... I wish there was a way to preserve them completely as is.